Senior Engineering Manager / Frontend Engineer / Designer
Agustín Amenábar L.
Graphic designer by training, software developer by passion, addicted to Continuous Delivery.
Doing the most varied work in tech since 2004, always elbow to elbow with designers and business. From UX to server–side optimization, a wide view of problems usually lets me find solutions where they are most effective.
Feb 2018 – Today: EQS Group
Supporting the 5 Cloud Teams of the IR COCKPIT.
Company dedicated to provide a software platform and services for Investor Relations, Communication and Compliance. With most of the German DAX companies as customers.
I joined the Frontend team responsible for building the new flagship product of the company in Angular 5+ and the the emerging Component Library.
In late 2019, took the technical responsibility for the “new Cockpit” and reorganized it in 3 product teams. Today we are 5 Teams.
- Senior Engineering Manager for the IR COCKPIT (5 Teams) (present)
- Team Lead of the Frontend engineers (Until September 2019)
- Senior Frontend Engineer (Until March 2019)
- Leading managers, tech teams and individual contributors.
- Product planning.
- Technical roadmap.
- Resource & capacity planning and budgeting.
- Active member of the ISMS
- Recruiting, creating tests and taking interviews.
- Onboarding for engineers and managers.
- Frontend architecture and our Component Library using Storybook and ng-packager.
- Release Management / Release protocol.
- Frontend Training for developers starting on Frontend.
- HTML, CSS, Typescript + Angular development.
Dec 2014 – Feb 2018: Westwing Home and Living
Senior Frontend Engineer
Ecommerce retail company dedicated to home, living, furniture and style with daily online sales with millions of monthly users. Here I did the frontend development for the redesign of the most visited pages in the website.
- Actively participated in the Westwing redesign effort of late 2014 and 2015 as part of the Core team.
- In late 2015, as part of the Marketing tech team, worked on the redesign the Westwing Magazine responsible for the SEO and SEM of Westwing.
- In 2017, I joined the internal startup Westwing now, where I lead the redesign of the store, and later in the internationalization of the backend and frontend.
- Frontend: ES5, ES6, Backbone, jQuery, Require.js, Browserify, Grunt, Gulp, Webpack, and other obscure tech.
- PHP backend development: Yii, Wordpress.
- AB tests implementation with Optimizely and a proprietary system.
- Frontend architecture: Lead the Frontend sync.
- Recruiting assistance, creating tests and taking interviews.
- Leading driver of frontend performance.
May 2006 – Nov 2014: VOXEL → MEDULA DISEÑO
Partner and Senior Full Stack Developer
Client services agency dedicated to Web Design, Graphic Design, interactive design and software development. Branch of Voxel Multimedia.
On April of 2009 one partner sold his part to my wife and me and we became Médula Diseño where my wife Violeta Sánchez E. does most of the design job and I lead the the development. The agency grew up to become a team of 6 (plus some friendly contractors).
Portfolio: All of the work in medula.cl has been done under my lead; most, directly by me. I have created several long relationships with customers and organizations which enable constant iteration of projects even on tight budgets.
- Project management.
- Recruiting and Hiring.
- Design and development of: – Websites. – Custom web software (web apps). – POP multimedia interactive software (Flash, Director, and web).
May 2005 – April 2006: VOXEL MULTIMEDIA
Designer / Web Designer
Client services agency dedicated to 3 areas:
Graphic Design, interactive design and web development.
Audiovisual production and post-production.
3D modeling, animation and rendering.
Here I worked on the design and development of websites and multimedia interactive software (Flash and Director).
Tools I’ve learned to use and leverage.
Front & Back -end
- HTML / CSS – (10+ years) Responsive web design, progressive enhancement, modern browser APIs, mobile first.
- Angular + RxJS (3+ year)
- SEO and HTML semantic markup:
<i>isn’t for icon. (10+ years)
- Frontend Performance
- VueJS (random projects)
- NodeJS, Expessjs & tooling (5+ years)
- LAMP stack, several frameworks. (16 years)
- MySQL (10+ years), Working knowledge of Mongodb and SQLite
- Nginx (5+ years)
- Drupal, WordPress, Joomla (too many years)
- AWS (whatever I need)
Managing teams and managers requires an extended toolset over coding.
- One on ones
- Agile principles
- Recruiting and hiring
- Pair programing, design & code reviews
- Postmortems (blameless)
- Project management
- Monitoring and alerting (New Relic, ELK stack, ops genie, Jira)
- CI/CD Pipelines
- Mentors (for me and others)
- Powerpoint 😅
- Owning my failures
CI/CD: Testing & DevOps
- Git (8+ years)
- Docker (5 years)
- Jenkins for CI/CD (6+ years)
- bash scripting (7+ years)
- Gitlab CI (1+ Years)
- Cypress 💚
- Karma + Jasmine (Angular)
- Protractor + Selenium (e2e)
- Selenium + Behat (e2e)
- Mocha + Chai + Supertest
- K8s (noob)
- UX / UI design: From wireframes to Component Libraries and Styleguides (15+ years)
- Layout and Illustration: Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch, Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher
- Project management and Client relations. (14+ years)
- AB testing and usability testing
- User tracking
Colegio Cumbres, Santiago, Chile. (1986 – 1998)
Universidad Finis Terrae (1999 – 2005)
Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design.
- Full name: Bernardo Agustín Amenábar Larraín
- Birth date: March 14, 1981
- Residence: Munich, Germany
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +49 1512 0430 198
- Nationality: Chilean
- Marital status: Married ♥
- Bilingual Spanish & English
- German basic (B1)
Some work fine and I use everyday, some are work in progress; all could use some more work.
- Printable cards: compose and print handouts Simple VueJS app I wrote for creating and storing printable “handouts” for the DnD campaign I play with my kids. Backed by some Google Cloud serverless products. Repo: https://github.com/baamenabar/printable-handout-cards
- Flyimg: Image transformations microservice Dockerized PHP7 application runs as a Microservice to resize and crop images on the fly. Get optimized images with MozJPEG, WebP or PNG using ImageMagick. Created in collaboration with Sadok Ferjani.
- The Sylvan Guide Wild areas and biodiversity guide, built in AngularJS and Ionic. It’s a simple working demo, more info at huilmo.org
- SVGfall SVG images with reliable fast fallback to bitmap (now on version 2).
- Styleguide with GULP+CSS Boilerplate A simple web Styleguide which works well as a CSS+HTML boilerplate.
- jQuery File Upload and Crop Friendly multiple image uploader with a crop window. Forked from BlueImp’s jQuery Uploader.
- Draggable elements bookmarklet jQuery and jQuery UI bookmarklet to easily make any element draggable with relative, absolute or fixed positioning.
- Liquen-php PHP image manipulation class (resize, crop and caching) Demo
- Medula codeBlog / SLyP My attempt to build a static blog generator after only hearing about Jekyll. Still remains as my code blog.
- Musicador Music player designed for non-destructive cropping of songs to create, manage and migrate music for roleplaying sessions (mp3 files).
Day to day Tools
- PhpStorm / VS Code / Sublime Text
- bash / zsh
- Gitlab & Gitlab ci
- Google Chrome Developer Tools ♥
- NodeJS (tooling)
- Gitlab / Bitbucket / Github
- Pen and paper, post-its (colors too)
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Lightroom
- Adobe Illustrator
- Some other obscure tools
All of the work in medula.cl has been done under my lead; most, directly by me. I have created several long relationships with customers and organizations which enable constant iteration of projects even on tight budgets. Some of the most notable are:
Printable cards web app
Simple VueJS application with a serverless Google Cloud backend.
Simple app I wrote for creating and storing printable “handouts” for the DnD campaign I play with my kids. Took the chance to play with VueJS and some Google Cloud serverless products. Repo: https://github.com/baamenabar/printable-handout-cards
Flyimg: Image transformations microservice
Dockerized PHP7 application runs as a Microservice to resize and crop images on the fly. Get optimised images with MozJPEG, WebP or PNG using ImageMagick.
Performance and image compression have been my pet peeves for years, this year I joined a friend to develop this microservice that generates images ready to be used in responsive projects.
I wrote the resizing and cropping algorithms, most of the documentation and the nginx config.
Coded most of the redesign of the two most visited pages at Westwing.de.
Recently coded most of the redesign and refactor of the whole product grid in it’s multiple incarnations.
Monitoring and pushing the frontend performance of the Westwing website, looking to get the highest impact with the lowest effort possible.
La Guía Silvestre / The Sylvan Guide : biodiversity and wild areas app.
My baby, a project in the making. A compiler of biodiversity guides, each aimed at specific locations, with geolocation and local storage of information. It currently can load, process and import Missions from Project Noah and compile them in a Ionic web-app.
Initially started with Sencha Touch 2, but switched to Ionic + AngularJS + NodeJS and fell in love with them.
I applied the project for seed funding, but on september 2014 got rejected for not having enough potential profit.
Note: the huilmo.org website was hacked together from a lousy template in one night, not my code.
The repo can be found at: https://github.com/baamenabar/vas